Sunday, March 31, 2013

What a Glorious Day!

Happy Easter y'all!

I'm taking a much needed break from studying to share a few thoughts with you all. Things have been very busy for me the last few days, so I apologize for the radio silence on my part!

I hope you had a wonderful weekend! Mine certainly was full. Saturday morning, my church here in College Station served about 4,500 people with our 3rd annual "Egg The City." This was my first year to participate and it was so much fun. The church rented out a park and invited families in the city to have some Easter fun! We had games, food, snow cones, bouncy houses, face painting, Clydesdale rides, and lots of other attractions for kids of all ages. Then we had a HUGE Easter egg hunt. Our church team filled 50,000 Easter eggs so all the kids could participate. Those little guys cleared out two soccer fields full of Easter eggs in under five minutes. It was craziness. But it was such a wonderful time to serve the sweet children of this city. I loved being able to love on all kinds of people yesterday, just by helping out in a few insignificant ways. My job has hair-painter! Spraying little heads with temporary blues, greens, reds, pinks, and purples.It was so much fun!

At one point during that long Saturday morning, I looked down at my hands absolutely covered with hair dye. Red and blue from all the boys who wanted killer mo-hawks, and pink and purple for all the girls who wanted to match their Easter clothes. Too precious. And I would look out into the park and see those crazy-colored do's running wild. Absolute bliss to a child of that age.
Then I thought of that verse in Matthew where Jesus is encouraging Christians to serve. He says "whatever you did for the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me." (Matthew 25:40)  I got this wonderful picture in my head of Jesus with green and blue hair, matching those brothers and sisters of his.

To him, my efforts that morning were significant. I may not even know the names of the children who's little heads I looked over, but He certainly does. And maybe someday, those little boys and girls will look back to a time, when somebody wanted to make them feel so special, and loved... that they dyed their hair. Or gave them a free snowcone. Or led them on an egg hunt. Jesus doesn't overlook the little things. And the kids certainly don't either. They feel the weight of loving kindness, especially when it may not be consistently present in their young lives.

Often, its the little things God uses to reassure us that he is there. I felt his presence among the 4,500 yesterday. I felt his heart beat in longing for those children and parents who don't know him yet. I felt him renew my strength as that early morning turned into a hot afternoon, combing the soccer fields for leftover trash. And it all brought joy to my heart!

If you don't read another word from me again, please don't miss these next three.

Jesus is everything.

He is everything to me. He has given everything to me. He is the reason I get up in the morning, He is the reason I smile, and He is the reason I am confident in who I am.
I feel the weight of his loving kindness, because it didn't exist before I knew Him (and I mean REALLY knew Him).

This Easter, my heart breaks for a world that doesn't know Jesus. They don't realize what they (or maybe even you reading this) are missing. I can see how far away people are from God. I see how there sin weighs them down, leading them away from the most fulfilling life with our Creator. I see people who have never had an encounter with the Cross. The Cross that was so necessary in the history of humanity.

Be thankful for this day. Be thankful for everyday you spend knowing that you are forgiven. Forgiven of a lifetime of wrongs that should have you sentenced to eternal death, but instead you are raised to eternal life because a Man decided that He couldn't even imagine a world where He lived without you. So He died that He might have you spend an eternity with Him. Don't overlook that! Jesus went to hell and back so he could save you! Wake up to that wonderful reality! No other person in all of history will do that for you, and no other god has ever literally died and resurrected for their people. Only Our God, the Great I AM would humble himself to die a criminal's death because it meant restoring the most beautiful of relationships. One that I invite you to become a reconciled part of.

God and his children. I am a beloved daughter of my Father in Heaven. Look to the Cross and be led to Him for yourself.

I hope you have a beautiful day..  With love,

-K


No comments:

Post a Comment